Stamford Room Materials
Books and Manuscripts
The Stamford Room at the DiMattia Main Branch contains sources for Stamford and Connecticut history. A lot of the resources were donated by the Connecticut Ancestry Society. This room also houses municipal documents, old city directories, genealogical materials, and biographies of prominent people of Stamford and Connecticut.
Subjects and items described below highlight the types of materials available in genealogy and local history.
- Surnames, Heraldry, Peerage – RL 929.4 – 929.8
- Connecticut Church Records – RL 280-285
- Connecticut Vital Records – RL 312.746, also RL 929.3746
- War Records – RL 973.3 – 973.8
- Genealogies and Family Histories
- Arranged by family surname – RL 929.2 A, RL 929.2 B, etc.
- Index of Genealogical Manuscripts in the Stamford Room
- Local Histories
- Connecticut – RL 974.6
- Stamford – RL 974.69
- New England – RL 974.1 – 974.5
- New York – RL 974.7
- Connecticut: A Bibliography of its History – RLq 016.9746 C752
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library Catalog – RLq 016.9292 D2381
- Genealogies in the Library of Congress – RLq 016.9291 U58g
- Genealogical & Local History Books in Print – RL 016.9291 Y24g
- United States Local Histories in the Library of Congress – RL 016.973 U58u
- City Directories
- Stamford (1879-).
- Darien-New Canaan; Greenwich (1930-)
- Stamford Grand Lists (1744-) – RLq 333.332 S783r
- Historical Atlases & Gazetteers – RL 912 – 917
- Genealogies and Family Source Materials and Vital Records
- Connecticut Census Indexes – RLq 929.3746 C752
- DAR Lineage Books – RL 929.3 D2381
- Passenger & Immigration Lists Indexes (Filby) – RLq 929.373 P287
- Stamford Genealogical Society Ancestor Charts: (with index) – RLq 929.3 S783m
- State Census Records (Lainhart) – RL 312 L187s
- US & Foreign Compendium & Manuals
- Munsell’s Index to American Genealogies – RL 929.1 M969I
- Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England (Savage) – RL 929.374 S264g
- History & Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield (Jacobus) – RL 929.2 J15h
- Compendium of American Genealogies (Virkus) – RL 929.1 V81a
- Periodical Indices
- Genealogical Periodicals Annual Index – RL 929.1 G326p
- Index to Periodicals (Jacobus) – RL 929.1 J17I
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI) – RLq 929.1 G326pS
- The American Genealogist – RL 929 A512g
- Connecticut Ancestry – RL 929 S783b
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register – RL 929.1 N44
- National Genealogical Society Quarterly – RL 929 N277g
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record – RL 929 N
Valuable clipping file collection contains articles from the Stamford Advocate, on all aspects of the community, its business, government and people, cultural, and educational institutions, different historical events, city documents and booklets.
For more information please ask at the second floor Information Desk at the DiMattia Main Library or call 203-351-8221.
The library has two large collections of early Stamford photographs, donated by Charles Kurz and Carl Lobozza. Mounted and labeled photographs are available for public viewing with special permission. Photocopies of the photos are located at the second floor Information Desk of the DiMattia Main building.
Overbrook Book Collection
Extensive collection of materials published by Overbrook Press, Stamford, CT in 1934-1969.
The library owns a number of yearbooks from local high schools.